Tuesday, January 19, 2016

My First Real Duran Duran Concert- 2005




 April 13, 2005- MSG, NYC

Mom had a bad episode the day before this. She seemed really out of it which is usually what happens when she overdoes it on her as needed meds for migraines and anxiety. I was afraid that she would have hallucinations and wind up in the hospital again. I did not want to miss this concert. I was feeling both upset and angry. Luckily she didn’t have to be hospitalized.

   I was feeling embarrassed that I was really excited about seeing all of the original members of this group, esp. John Taylor. The last time at PNC it was more like the Simon and Nick show.

  Before the concert I went to Macy’s where I bought a pretty 1928 necklace and matching earrings. I also had strawberry ice cream at Ben& Jerry’s there. I hadn’t eaten ice cream in many years. This was so yummy.

   About half an hour later I went over to the Garden. A guy asked me to take a picture of him and his friends. I had never used a digital camera before this. The girl sitting next to me had on too much perfume. She was drinking either champagne or wine which I was afraid that she’d accidentally spill on me. I had the same fear about the beer drinking guy who was standing next to me for a little while.

   I was in the top section, front row end seat. It was to the left of the stage so I was on bassist guy’s side which was nice. I definitely made sure that I used the binoculars and got a good view of him- oh, and the others too. I used them sometimes when Simon came over to the left.  I didn’t use them enough though, esp. during “Save a Prayer”.

   There weren’t any screens which was very disappointing.  I hate that my bad side made me use the binoculars for inappropriate viewing of the butts and was thinking very nice about JT’s and not bad about Simon’s- how majorly embarrassing.

   Simon told everyone to hold up their cell phones during that prayer song. I didn’t have one of these. I was happy that they did “The Chauffeur “and “Hold Back the Rain”. The girls went gaga over Simon when he left the stage and was near some of them. I was never really a fan of “The Reflex” but after seeing it performed here I started liking it.

    Before the concert I heard a few girls talking about the 2003 Bon Jovi concert that my brother and I were at. It was so stupid that I waited until the day after I heard about the DD concert on the radio to call for a ticket. Maybe part of me was ashamed to even want to be going to this event. I hadn’t even heard about it until February.

   I didn’t want to share my group with Mike so I didn’t even tell him about it. Eventually I mentioned that I had gone to this show and he did seem a bit disappointed that I didn’t include him.

   During the train ride home I heard a few people talking about this concert and sort of wanted to join in on the conversation but was too afraid to. I was wishing that I had gotten the 57.00 ticket which was the section below where I had been but I foolishly thought that I had to stick with the least expensive one like I always do at such events.

   I didn’t even know that Duran Duran was back together until October 2004. I had screwed up the taping of them on “GMA” that month. I didn’t buy the tour book because it was too expensive- 45.00. If it had been a regular one and not this special, fancy kind it would have cost less and I would have purchased it.

  I completely hate that my bad side was having naughty thoughts about bassist guy, like thinking that he looks hot in those tight black leather pants. Yuck!

   Simon did mention the fact that it had been 21 years since they all last performed there. Being at this concert didn’t even seem real, well except for the distractions including my own thoughts and stupidity like not taking off my coat. I am kind of embarrassed that I sometimes swayed to the music and sang along a bit like during the last song which is my favorite, “Rio”.

No comments:

Post a Comment